Did you know that the word “chakra” comes from the Sanskrit and translates as “wheel?” It’s an interesting way to picture the various energy centers of the body. You don’t have to be energetically aware to start learning about them. However, learning how to work with your energy is essential in the long run.
What Do the Seven Chakras Mean?
You have seven energy wheels that are part of your body. Each has its unique name and function. The chakra system is a gift from India, where it became a part of the Vedas between 1500 and 500 BCE. Picture the chakras as spinning wheels fixed in a straight line along the body.
- Root chakra. Its location is the base of the spine. It guides things having to do with daily living and connects you to Earth itself. When in balance, you feel at peace with your stage in life.
- Sacral chakra. This chakra is a couple of finger breadths below the navel. It lets you enjoy an overall sense of creativity. A balanced second chakra allows you to enjoy life by knowing when to stop.
- Solar plexus chakra. The solar plexus is right underneath the spot where your rib cage meets in the front. The associated chakra governs your fight-or-flight response and regulates healthy self-esteem. If it’s not in balance, it greatly harms your feeling of self-worth.
- Heart chakra. Locate this chakra slightly above your heart. As you might imagine, it has to do with love but also empathy. When not in balance, you may find it difficult to love yourself or others.
- Throat chakra. This chakra is in the throat and allows the heart chakra to express itself. It guides your communication. Unless it is in balance, you’ll have a hard time inspiring others with your words or being understood well.
- Third eye chakra. You find this chakra between the eyebrows on the forehead. It focuses on intuition and wisdom. A balanced third eye chakra puts you in touch with the spiritual world.
- Crown chakra. Located at the top of the head, it focuses on the metaphysical connection with the deity or universal energy.
The Chakra System and the Human Body
In a perfect world, the chakras work together to channel your personal energy. However, this isn’t a perfect world. You’re dealing with stress, worries, next to no self-care time, limited training in meditation, and few opportunities to participate in yoga. Not surprisingly, the chakras can get out of balance.
Think of the chakra system as a set of drainage pipes. They can clog. Sometimes, only one or two of the chakras are out of balance. At other times, the majority is out of balance and doesn’t allow your life’s energy to flow as it intends. Typical clogs include grief, a bad diet, physical illness, and emotions you don’t express properly.
Since the energy flow of the chakras is related directly to your daily experiences, clogging them is surprisingly easy.
How to Activate, Balance, and Unblock the Chakras
Anything that clogs can also be unclogged. This is as true for drains as it is for the chakras. A powerful way of achieving the unblocking and activation of chakras is by meditating, chanting (yes, each chakra has its own chant), and making some changes to your life.
Many people find it tremendously helpful to do chakra meditations that focus on one of the seven chakra chants. If you have experience meditating, you might focus on multiple or all chakras during your session. Focus inward and seek to connect with the targeted chakra.
The 7 Chakra Chants and Supporting Lifestyle Changes in Order
- ”I am safe and grounded.” Connect with nature through walks and make healthy dietary changes.
- ”I enjoy the pleasures of life.” Do something creative like writing or drawing.
- ”I am strong and know my worth.” Rehearse how you will set a boundary and enforce it.
- ”I am loved and loving.” Practice self-care and do a random acts of kindness.
- ”I speak my truth and express myself openly.” Say out loud what you need and want.
- ”I know who I am and trust my inner voice.” Meditation is necessary. If you don’t know how to do it, do meditation for beginners.
- ”I am part of divine energy and connected to all life in the universe.” A combination of mindful living and meditation helps unblock and balance this chakra.
What Happens When All 7 Chakras are Open?
The chakra system gives you access to your natural energy. It allows you to live at the height of vitality. At the same time, it can significantly reduce incidents of unexplained mental or physical illness.
Realize that even the most intuitive person will have chakras clog. In addition, it may take them a while to realize it. However, you, just as much as they, have the opportunity to unblock and fully open your chakras at any time. The simple chants along with meditation make a huge difference.
Some people also find tremendous value in doing yoga to help achieve the balance. Others work with an energy practitioner to restore severely blocked chakras.